Nine Fellows (six singers and three pianists) are selected through a competitive, national audition process for the seven day program. Working with professional opera singer and recitalist Stephanie Blythe and Alan Smith, renowned collaborative pianist, vocal coach and composer, they will participate in daily masterclasses, coachings and special activities that foster the highest musical, linguistic and creative standards while exploring what it means to be a performing artist in today’s society. Only the music of living, American composers is explored during this intensive week of study.
The Seminar is open to emerging singers and collaborative pianists ages of 23 to 35 through a competitive, national audition. A final, live round will be held in NYC. If selected for the Seminar, Fellows receive tuition, room and board at no cost; the only expenses being travel to the Seminar in Potsdam, NY and any incidental expenses incurred during the week.
Complete an online application (see details below).
A live audition in NYC. 24 applicants will be invited to audition in New York City.
Timeline for the 2016 Application Process
October 1, 2016: Online applications open.
November 1, 2016: Online applications close at 11:59 p.m. EST.
December 1, 2016: Applicants will be notified by email if they are invited to the final round.
January 2017: Final round of auditions in New York City. Date TBA
February 1, 2017: Notification of acceptance into the program
Auditions and Applications
Applicants must be between the ages of 23 and 35 during the dates of the Seminar (May 19-24, 2014) to apply
- High Quality video recordings of 2 contrasting art songs by living, American composers. Videos must be submitted as YouTube or other hosted links.
- Essay (500 words max PDF) that addresses the following:
- What does art song mean to you?
- What important or influential experiences have you had with art song?
- What are you seeking in a musical collaboration?
- What contemporary American composers works do you feel particularly drawn to and why?
- Resume (PDF)
- Complete Repertoire List. Include works performed and works studied. Indicate works performed with an *. (PDF)
- Headshot (PDF or JPG)
- Two Letters of Recommendation, PDF. (may be sent separately)
- Singers: one from a voice teach or a vocal coach; one from a pianist with whom you’ve worked or collaborated.
- Pianists: one from a vocal coach and 1 from a voice teacher or singer with whom you’ve collaborated.
Recommenders: Please click HERE to read requirements for the letters of recommendation
- $40 application fee. Please follow instructions carefully once you reach the end of the application to complete payment.